Should I take ibuprofen or aspirin?
There is nothing to the warning against ibuprofen for corona infected people!
Unfortunately, rumors keep circulating that are particularly unsettling to chronic patients. With regard to misleading warnings about ibuprofen and anti-inflammatory drugs, the pulmonologists at the VPK want to clarify the following ...
Reliable medical tips are in times of CoronaCorona
At least as popular as toilet paper, as Werner Barten writes in the Süddeutsche Zeitung on March 19, 2020. Rumors are circulating on the Internet that if you suspect an infection with the new type of coronavirus SARS-CoV-2, it is better not to take ibuprofen than to take paracetamol to reduce fever or pain.
How did that happen? As the dpa on March 17. reported, the virologist Jonas Schmidt-Chanasit from the Bernhard Nocht Institute for Tropical Medicine (BNITM) assumes that in particular "aspirin" (acetylsalicylic acid ASA), but also ibuprofen, could not be helpful in the case of Covid-19. Aspirin is known to inhibit blood clotting, which increases the risk of internal bleeding. With paracetamol from the group of analgesics, however, this is not the case.
However, at the time there were no studies that could prove that ibuprofen is associated with increased mortality after infection with SARS-CoV-2. Experts were still examining the situation. Nevertheless, the World Health Organization (WHO) now advised people suspected of being infected with the novel coronavirus against taking the drug ibuprofen without medical advice. "In suspected cases, we advise taking paracetamol and not ibuprofen," explains WHO spokesman Prof. Dr. Christian Lindmeier. This relates exclusively to taking it without medical advice, i.e. self-therapy, he emphasizes.
There is now a great deal of uncertainty, especially among chronic patients who take ibuprofen. Especially since the French Minister of Health (on March 14, 2020 with a tweet) has generally warned against anti-inflammatory drugs such as ibuprofen. The national health director Jérôme Salomon had made a similar statement and then advised against taking so-called non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) as a matter of principle. In addition to ibuprofen and aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid, ASA), this group of active ingredients also includes diclofenac and coxibs.
That is why the pulmonologists want to make the following clear at this point: "You cannot lump all anti-inflammatory drugs and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) into one lump sum, because there are the following differences," explains Dr. med. Thomas Voshaar, Chairman of the Board of the Association of Pneumological Clinics (VPK) and Chief Physician of the Lung Center at Bethanien Hospital in Moers:
- Ibuprofen has no relevant effect on blood clotting. But aspirin does: it inhibits the blood platelets (thrombocyte platelets
These are certain blood cells that play an essential role in blood clotting.
- Paracetamol is one of the analgesics and only has a fever-lowering and pain-relieving effect. In contrast, the non-steroidal pain relievers (ibuprofen, aspirin, diclofenac and the coxibs) also have an anti-inflammatory effect.
- If you just want something to relieve pain or reduce fever, you can also take paracetamol. But do you need such. B. in inflammation of the joints or something similar anti-inflammatory so ibuprofen, diclofenac and the coxibs are effective.
- Do you want to - z. B. because of the above concerns - avoid ibuprofen, you can choose between diclofenac or coxibs. Paracetamol, on the other hand, is not anti-inflammatory.
In principle, chronic patients should not be unsettled, even in times of Corona, but should take their medication regularly as prescribed, ”advises Dr. Voshaar. In the meantime, the European Medicines Agency (EMA) has declared: There is no scientifically proven connection between taking ibuprofen and a more severe course of corona disease - see https://www.journalmed.de/news/lesen/Kein_Zverbindhang_Ibuprofen_Verschlechtung_COVID_19
And the WHO has withdrawn its warning - see https://www.br.de/nachrichten/wissen/coronavirus-und-ibuprofen-who-warnung-trotz-duenner-datenlage,RtVSKty
- How does fashion photography work
- Where is the Telugu film Mister filmed
- What causes panic in the Linux kernel
- Who is the most beautiful American celebrity
- What is Argument Mining in NLP
- Which department is University of Alaska Anchorage
- Can transfer money to a debit card
- A narcissist likes to argue
- Scopolamine is a dangerous drug
- What evolutionary meaning does homosexuality have
- How is AAC better than AC3
- Where did neoliberalism work?
- What are Rare Known Facts in Java
- How can I add an effect to blogger
- What is your opinion on digital art
- How many vacancies are there usually in TES
- What are the treatments for a tumor
- Is intraday stock trading allowed in Islam?
- Can I switch from Android to Java?
- What is structured knowledge
- It is worth cleaning your bicycle chain
- What do you see in the future
- Oxford University has an accounting course
- What are the basic HR concepts
- You can refuse a pelvic exam
- How do values differ from skills?
- How can I sell my voice online
- How often does Apple release iOS updates
- Boys like broad girls
- Why stock up on government bonds
- Why is a trapezoid not a parallelogram
- Are atheists afraid of dying
- What is Donald Trump's second fatal mistake
- How is the groundwater polluted