When should one e.g. versus i.e.
Comes after "d. h. “a comma or not?
When German punctuation requires a comma and when it doesn't, can sometimes be quite complicated. However, there are also questions that - with a little attention while writing - can be answered very simply and logically. This also includes the question of whether after “d. h. “a comma follows or not. Just ask yourself whether it is an explanatory sentence or an explanatory or subordinate sentence!
"We will send you the documents as soon as they appear, i. H. as soon as they are available to us. ”Isn't a comma missing here? In some cases you have to put a comma after “that is”, in others you don't. secretaria clarifies:
Case 1: After “that is” there is a subordinate clause or an explanatory clause.
In these cases you have to put a comma.
a) With "? as soon as we have them "it is a subordinate clause, so there is a comma in front of it:, ..., that is, as soon as we have them."
b) In the sentence “We will send you the documents immediately after they appear, i. In other words, you can count on the information from next week. ”follows after“ d. h. “a whole explanatory sentence, which you also have to separate with a comma.
Case 2: After “that is” there is only a part of the sentence, not a separate subordinate clause.
In the sentence: “We will send you the documents as soon as possible, i. H. immediately after publication, to. ”on the other hand, an explanatory phrase follows:“ immediately after publication ”. this is not a subordinate clause, so there is no comma in front of it.
- How can you deal with jitter
- Why do people travel to Sweden
- How similar are the Dothraki and Wildlings
- What is behavioral security
- Is OnStar out of date
- Where can I see the Titanic
- Why does endocarditis cause weight gain
- What started atheism
- Why did Buddhism never spread to Africa?
- What are some misunderstandings about quantum computers
- Why do films have multiple trailers
- Where is the Vestige production facility
- How can a vaccine prevent lung cancer
- Who will win Karnak or Iron Fist
- What does Domain Skills
- How many siblings did you have
- Valued empirical research in linguistics
- Are doctors overrated
- Mosquitoes are animals
- How can wastewater be treated?
- Why are movie stars so divorced
- What is a smorgasbord approach
- Dead flies decompose
- Why is the currency so high in Kuwait