Had pteranodon feathers
Paleontology: Dispute over the plumage of the pterosaurs
For years, paleontologists have been arguing about when living things on earth first developed feathers: Were they an evolutionary trick used by the dinosaurs, who used it to protect themselves against the cold around 150 million years ago? Or did the feature originate 80 million years earlier in the pterosaurs, which are loosely related to the dinosaurs?
In 2018, researchers working with Zixiao Yang from Nanjing University presented evidence of the latter scenario: They encountered tiny hairline cracks in pterosaur fossils that formed complex structures like the branches of a tree. They occur in a similar form in birds, which is why the Chinese researchers attributed them to a fur-like plumage.
Now, David Unwin from the University of Leicester and Dave Martill from the University of Portsmouth think they can refute this interpretation: Even fiber strands in the wing membrane of pterosaurs could lead to such hairline cracks, write the two paleontologists in the journal Nature Ecology & Evolution. Accordingly, pterosaurs were probably as bald as a cooked turkey, and feathers did not develop until much later in the dinosaurs.
With the publication, the debate is likely to gain momentum: In the same issue, "Nature Ecology & Evolution" also published a reply by the Chinese researchers in which they reject the interpretation of their British colleagues.
- What does AWACS stand for in BACS
- Why are quadcopters so popular
- How do hazelnuts and hazelnuts differ?
- What are the advantages of a non-party democracy
- Why did you start a podcast
- How did you deal with undiagnosed depression
- How great is Allah's Rehmath
- How does FinTech affect developing countries?
- How are variables declared in PHP
- What is event marketing
- What are Rare Known Facts in Java
- What do we call moving lights
- What makes narcissists fear
- What was the 1st useful metal
- Why does carb cycling work
- It's your last stand which song is playing
- Who ran against Reagan in 1988
- How scientifically accurate is Fallout 4
- When did you regret forgiving someone?
- Boys like girls with long hair
- How can I fix my bone deformities
- What does reverse osmosis do
- After the 11th I can do C
- What is an example of a cache
- Thailand becomes a stratocracy
- Can the mind ever be an object?
- What lawyers will do
- There are five states of matter
- Smoking marijuana seeds makes you impotent
- How do artists promote themselves
- What does rolling trophy mean
- What are the new gadgets