Which occupation attracts most alcoholics
Alcoholics help: what to do if the colleague drinks?
The warning signals are classic: a clear flag, a swaying gait, a slurred manner of speaking - this is usually how someone who is drunk comes out. Alcohol is taboo at work. Still there are some Alcoholics in the workplace. Sooner or later, the employees will find out about their colleague's problems. Out of fear or a lack of sense of responsibility, however, few intervene in the difficult situation - and thus harm both the alcoholic and the company. Why colleagues have the greatest responsibility when discovering alcohol addiction and tips on how to best approach an affected colleague ...
➠ Content: This is what awaits you
Alcoholics at work: the facts, the consequences
As a historically tolerated cultural drug, alcohol has become an integral part of everyday life for many. Eastern Europeans and Asians in particular are often said to only place orders after a good drink. This cultural compulsion in combination with the growing stress in many professions causes increased drinking, which over the years leads to alcoholism can develop. The dangerous thing about it: the transitions between one normal drinking behavior and a full-grown one Addiction are fluent.
A few facts and figures about alcohol at work:
- Around five to seven percent of those in employment in Germany are considered to be alcohol dependent.
- Men are slightly more likely to be affected by alcohol addiction; the ratio to women is roughly 70 to 30.
- Alcoholics absence 16 times more often than other colleagues and have an average of 25 percent less Work performance.
- Alcoholics report 2.5 times more often ill.
- Alcoholics cause 3.5 times more Accidents at work
- 20 percent of employees state that they have to do overtime for an alcoholic or because of these dangerous circumstances exposed to be.
- The resulting economic damage amounts to almost 25 billion euros - annually, according to the German headquarters for addiction issues.
Alcohol: With the success comes the drunkenness
The greater the prosperity, the more alcohol is drunk. This is how the result of a study by Priscilla Martinez of the Alcohol Research Group in Emeryville, California can be summed up. It is the image of the successful celebrating their victory with a bottle of champagne or a drink, which is constantly shown to us - and what the successful then implement stereotypically. "Alcohol is the perfume of success“Says Priscilla Martinez. And the higher the income, the more people would drink. Men in particular are at risk of overdoing it with alcohol.
➠ Content: This is what awaits you
Alcoholics at Work: The Responsibility of Colleagues
In the rarest of cases a Alcohol addict the fight against dependence on his own initiative - therefore he is dependent on helping colleagues who pull the emergency brake in good time.
Early action is essential, because the earlier the stage of addictionthe easier it can be done about it.
The problem with this is that the more personable a colleague is, the more difficult it is to ask him about his alcohol consumption. Therefore, employees often cover up alcoholic colleagues, iron out mistakes for them and catch lost working hours - and thus make themselves so-called Codependent: Those who withhold the actually logical consequences of their addictive behavior from an affected person deprive them of the best arguments for rethinking - and make the situation even worse.
Colleagues have to be theirs responsibility awareness. The responsible superior often does not have the necessary personal contact; Company doctor and human resources department may only act after specific instructions.
Therefore, nobody should be considered sneak feel when he notifies the HR department - after all, it is in the interests of the alcoholic. And even if he loses his job shortly afterwards, that can mean the necessary new beginning, which for Addicts is often the only way out.
Alcohol problem: those who work long drink more
It says: Those who work permanent should also have permanent celebrations. But that is precisely where there is obviously a risk. As a Finnish study by Marianna Virtanen shows long office hours a negative impact on our health. Or to put it another way: Anyone who spends a long time in the office has an increased Risk of becoming a drinker.
Specifically, the risk increases after more than 40 hours per week in the office by 11 percent. This meta-study is based on an evaluation of 61 individual examinations in 14 countries, in which a total of around 330,000 employees took part. Who more between 49 and 54 hours per week in the office spent, tended to drink more alcohol by 13 percent compared to the control group (maximum 40 hours per week).
The researchers defined excessive alcohol consumption as 14 drinks per week for women and 21 drinks for men.
Advice: How to address a victim
Before going to the HR department, however, it is essential personal conversation with the person concerned. Here are empathy and a sensitive approach is required. The following tips explain the basics to keep in mind when talking to an alcoholic.
- The conversation can be started by pointing the colleague on the appeals towhat one has noticed in the recent past: warning signs, lack of concentration, obvious sadness and so on.
- The addressed will always be feel offended, so it is important to have a trusting atmosphere to accomplish. It should be pointed out that the conversation is not easy for you, you only act out of sympathy and want to prevent worse things from happening.
- Most of the alcoholics caught will first distance themselves. Hence, they are good Points in time for the difficult conversation shortly before the end of the working day or before the weekend - this gives the other person time to think about the situation for themselves.
- A single responsible colleague is a start. But it is particularly effective when several employees address the person concerned (simultaneously or one after the other). On the one hand, this demonstrates a widespread perception of the problem; on the other hand, there is also a helpful community that supports those affected.
Of course, all of these hints are not a silver bullet that immediately cleanses an alcoholic and makes him think again. If everyone has no understanding, all that remains is to go to the boss, works council, human resources department. But such conversations can a start be to face the difficult topic and to do something about it together.
- Energy dies
- The room is full of darkness
- Will hire assistants to NIACL in 2020
- What is the difference between something that has been stolen and something that has been lost?
- What character doesn't deserve to die?
- Well worth PBN in 2019
- How do you access a court decision
- What has been your best trip lately
- What makes Montessori unique
- The MPPSC form is free for girls
- What is enriched media
- What an incident made Lionel Messi a god
- How do you normally clean your upholstery
- Would Milner's signature actually help Liverpool
- How do I install a program on Ubuntu
- Did Donald Trump parkland
- How many companies use Scalr
- Translate these Russian words:
- Why do mannequins crawl people out
- Is it possible that Hitler had PTSD?
- Creativity can be innate
- What is the best geocoder
- Why is there no carnival in Poland?
- Where are you, Mr. Bad Person
- What is the best game development software
- Should we consider LSD a hard drug
- Do I need a telephone service for DSL
- What is Netbeans and how does it work
- The majority of humanity is mind controlled
- Ambitious OKRs should have a plan
- What prompted Hitler to opt for an expansion policy
- What is your rating of the Khan Academy
- What are some psychiatric lies
- You can delete direct messages on Instagram