What is the solution for this math problem
This math problem divides the net
Mathematics is actually simple because there is always an unambiguous solution. Not so on the Internet, where you can argue about whether 1 + 1 is always 2. Admittedly, it's not that easy with the following example, because this math problem sparked a huge discussion on Twitter and is not quite as easy as it seems.
A few days ago, user @pjmdoll posted the following equation on Twitter with the request to solve it: 8: 2 (2 + 2) =? He himself concluded that the solution must be 1. Other users corrected that it was 16. And then the tweet "exploded", as they say in Twitter. User @pjmdoll has received over 15,000 "likes" and 4,000 retweets since July 28th. According to Twitter statistics, over 20,000 users talk about it.
The word "entertain" is probably less appropriate, because the answers are wild. There are Fraction 1 and Fraction 16, and both accuse each other of being a nut in math - and see the end of society approaching.
And what is right now? You have to use the correct operator precedence (dot before dash), pay attention to the brackets and calculate from left to right. The correct answer is 16. There is tutoring on Wikipedia and the "New York Times", where Steven Strogatz, Professor of Mathematics at Cornell University, explains the whole thing step by step. However, he also criticizes the fact that such tasks only confuse students and that they have to be stubbornly calculated down according to arbitrary rules. Instead, teachers should introduce their students to more interesting parts of math. (red, 6/8/2019)
- What is Zungguzungguguzungguzeng
- Why is the iron pillar not rusted?
- Why are laptops better than a desktop
- What is unipole advertising
- How does self-identity arise during childhood?
- Is CryptoInvest a Scam or Safe?
- What is 710 friendly
- What area can we invest in India
- How do I train my brachialis
- Why do songs have beats
- Can deer feel that people are coming?
- How does world trade benefit Americans
- Why are landlords taxed on uninhabited properties
- What about the placement fraud in ITER
- Where do I write the answer
- What Are Some Good Biotech Software
- What is a grounding transformer
- What does a high pKa mean?
- How to learn without wasting time
- What are SAT satisfiability problems
- Who is the best physiotherapist in Kochi
- Which animals are not sensitive?
- Canadian soldiers want pen pals overseas
- Blogging is outsourced
- Why does Android not support SVG
- What is the exercise bike in aircraft
- What are symptoms of moderate autism
- Why are exchange rates so volatile
- What was your favorite childhood music band?
- What is a glycol
- Does water have oxygen in space
- What does the Hindi word asahishduta mean
- Who are more important inventors or innovators
- Do you believe in magic