What is the derivatives market in layman terms
Why buying an inverse ETF doesn't produce the same results as shorting the ETF
For example, let's say the ETF is currently priced at $ 100. Suppose the next day it increases by 10% (to a price of $ 110) and the next day by 5% (to a price of $ 104.5). In these two days, the ETF made a net gain of 4.5% compared to the original price.
The inverse ETF reverses the daily gains / losses of the basic ETF. For the sake of simplicity, let's assume that the inverse ETF also starts at a price of $ 100. On the first day it drops by 10% (to 90 USD) and on the second day by 5% (to 94.5 USD). Thus, the inverse ETF had a net loss of 5.5% in the two days.
The specific dollar amounts do not matter here. The result is that the ETF ends up at its original price and the inverse ETF ends up at its original price. A similar example is given here.
As suggested in your offer, this is due to compounding. A gain of X% followed by a loss of Y% (composed of the profit) does not generally mean a loss of X% followed by a profit of Y% (composed of the loss). In simpler terms, if something loses 10% of its value and then gains 10% of its new value, it will not return to its original value because the 10% it gained was 10% of its decreased value, so not enough to to bring it all the way back to the top. If it gains 10% and then loses 10%, it will easily fall below its original value (since it has lost 10% of its newly increased value).
- Banks really know what customers want
- How good is a career in anesthesiology
- Who is better Faiz Ghalib or Faraz
- Is the ideology of communism dead
- Who is your favorite sociologist
- Why does President Putin distrust the West?
- Instagram has a website
- Robert Mueller loses credibility
- How would you perceive humanity
- Which sketchy emails should you never open?
- What better help advice
- How will I control hair loss and dandruff
- The monthly payment of a car insurance affects the credit
- Where can I get the news
- Is the DTU free
- Which reports are available in ERP
- Why is samosa in masala
- How credible is The Economist with regard to India
- Did you like The Big Lebowski
- What technology does open source include
- Why is FIFA so addicting?
- Why is childhood trauma so harmful
- How does mass cause gravitational force 1
- Why does donating blood make you tired?