All Vikings had slaves
In the clutches of the Vikings: ARTE documentary about the early slave trade
How did the prisoners experience the Viking slave trade? Information about this is provided by an ARTE documentary that retells the story of the Irish slave Findan.
Findan (Rickie O'Neill) looks for a long time at the ax that a fallen warrior dropped next to him. Then he courageously grabs the iron and courageously steps in to save his master (Dmitry Vinokurov) life. In gratitude, the slave trader loosens his chains and Findan can flee - away from the Vikings. Using film scenes like this one, the new documentary "In the Fangs of the Vikings" on ARTE tells the story of the Irish nobleman Findan, who was kept as a slave by the Vikings in the 9th century.
In fact, his life story is the only recorded account of a Viking slave that is considered authentic by historians. And it not only provides information about the life and work of a person who is later venerated as a Catholic saint, it also shows, for example, that Vikings in the early Middle Ages were not only robbers and conquerors, but above all also skilled slave traders. It was a profitable business for the Northmen, even beyond the country's borders. Dublin was one of the largest slave markets in Europe.
In the Austrian documentary, director Stefan Ludwig uses the story of Findan and his sister Melkorka (Cat Williams) to analyze how slaves were treated in the past. Historians, Scandinavians and archaeologists have their say and tell in detail about relics that have been found and researched using the latest technologies. With a mix of movie scenes, expert interviews and computer-animated sketches, the documentation provides detailed, exciting insights into a dark chapter of the Nordic seafarers. The perfect historical foundation for fans of the globally acclaimed series "Vikings", which went into its final round on Amazon Prime Video at the end of 2020.
Source: teleschau - der mediendienst GmbH
- Create a visual intranet design in SharePoint
- Can children learn Reiki
- How do asthmatics live in Beijing
- Can Batman beat Loki
- Use Google search algorithms artificial intelligence
- What is DMIT software
- How do I get fluent in latex
- How competitive is the Erasmus Mundus grant
- The drug Xanax is addictive
- Can schools become an Ivy League
- Why do I need a smartphone
- Why is my phone bill so expensive
- What is D LED technology
- Commercial students can do a BSC Nursing
- What are the benefits of peacebuilding
- Why do you like your panda so much
- What do you order at Longhorn Steakhouse
- Turbochargers are VERY efficient
- Do I need an editor
- People get smarter over time
- Why are we being watched
- What does cheap money mean
- Where are you wandering now
- There are different types of calm people