Has Sydney Australia Lyft
ROUNDUP: 'Have to be strong' - No flood all-clear in Australia
SYDNEY (dpa-AFX) - In the flood areas in southeast Australia, the situation is not yet easing. In many regions, including the south of the hard-hit state of New South Wales, water levels continued to rise on Tuesday. Emergency services were among other things in action with helicopters and boats to help residents who were cut off from the outside world by the masses of water. In the Colo River area in particular, the water rose dramatically. 500 people were asked to leave their homes, the AAP news agency reported.
After days of heavy rain, 18,000 people had to be brought to safety, especially north of Sydney, since the weekend. The Prime Minister of New South Wales, Gladys Berejiklian, announced a possible evacuation order for additional areas where 15,000 people live.
Days of heavy rain had previously led to a catastrophic flood and the evacuation of entire villages. Houses, streets and fields sank in the floods. Many Australians have lost everything. "What can we do, we have to be strong," said a woman near Sydney, whose house was flooded with brown water. "I have a 17 year old daughter and she saw me collapse last night ... we have to go on somehow."
Many animals were also carried away by the floods. In the small town of Windsor near Sydney, helpers rescued an emu that is kept there as a pet. The ratite "Gookie" was pulled out of the Hawkesbury River completely exhausted, reported the broadcaster 9News.
Berejiklian spoke of a "weather event that exceeds anything we could have imagined". It is already considered the worst flood in New South Wales in decades. Only last year had devastating fires raged in the region. Climate experts warned that serious natural disasters could recur more and more frequently in the future.
The south of New South Wales on the border with Victoria was now also affected. Floods and severe flooding were also reported from the tropical state of Queensland in the north-east of the country on Tuesday. For many regions, the end of the precipitation was not yet in sight.
For some areas, however, there was at least a temporary light on the horizon: the storm system with heavy rainfall and strong winds is moving rapidly forward, the newspaper "Sydney Morning Herald" quoted meteorologist Jane Golding as saying. Behind it it became clear in some places. "It seems hard to believe, but there will still be blue skies and sun in the afternoon in the west of Sydney and on the coast in the northeast of the region." However, the situation remains unsafe and dangerous. / Cfn / DP / jha
- Anal sex is gross
- What does this sentence 10 mean
- Why are pine leaves prickly
- Do crabs hurt when cooked alive
- Why is racism increasing again worldwide
- How did Pakistan become a defense exporter
- How can you run FaceTime without service
- Is the SAP course difficult
- How high can a Tulasi tree grow
- What is a bug in jQuery
- Is the stack overflow still relevant
- Is Donald Trump Smart 1
- Who is Campbell Scott
- Sociopaths are cowards
- What makes the surface of the moons dusty
- What is cut, copy and paste
- What is your hidden ambition
- Translate these Russian words:
- How does the Eventbrites payment method work?
- Who is the world's mighty men
- Tesla and Einstein knew each other
- Can you marry something that is not human
- In what season does strawberry grow
- How did Python programming help you
- What is the difference between alliteration and refrain
- Why is Rotimatic not yet being delivered
- Where can I download MX Roads
- What was Steve Jobs' passion
- What is the origin of the English currency
- Why did you stop using Snapchat?
- Is Tor a risky browser
- Video calling is prohibited in Damascus Syria
- Jews are allowed to masturbate
- Why is Christianity booming in Korea