Which registrations are required for the export of seafood?

Information for Businesses in the EU: Exports to the UK

This page explains what EU companies should be aware of when exporting goods to the UK. Check with your country's customs office for rules on exporting goods from the EU to the UK.

More information for EU companies can be found at gov.uk/eubusiness.

Buying and selling goods

The rules have changed and trade between the EU and the UK is now regulated. More information on what happens at the UK border.

Contact your UK trading partners to:

  • to agree on responsibilities
  • ensure you have the correct documentation for the type of goods you are importing or exporting across the UK border

Make sure you have completed the necessary border formalities.

There will be no significant changes to the movement of goods between Northern Ireland and the EU member states, including Ireland.

Moving goods from the EU to the UK

Freight forwarders and forwarding managers must:

  • use the “Check an HGV” service to apply for a so-called Kent Access Permit

  • Pay attention to the new traffic control systems in ports in order to avoid delays

  • make sure you have the necessary documents with you to cross the border between the UK and the EU via the port of Dover or the Eurotunnel

Expect to pay a fine of £ 300 for failing to use the Check to HGV service or providing a false declaration when traveling through Kent ports.

You can find detailed information in the guide for freight forwarders and commercial drivers.

COVID tests

Some EU countries have introduced Covid-19 testing regulations for freight forwarders. The rules are different in every country. Find out about the regulations and take appropriate precautions before you start your journey.

To avoid delays, you can get tested at an advice center before entering other areas in Kent to cross the English Channel. Find the nearest advice center.

For more information, see the information on international road haulage.

Export of food and beverages

See the Food and Beverage Trade Guidelines for more information on how to:

  • receive a GB-EORI number
  • ensure that your products meet food labeling requirements
  • Send the correct documents with your goods if you are exporting animals or animal products
  • meet the new phytosanitary requirements when you export plants or plant products

Export of agricultural products

If you are selling agricultural or food products to the UK, your company must:

  • Review the rules governing the export of food, beverages or agricultural products to the UK
  • Check what documents, licenses and certificates are required for the goods you are importing from the EU into the UK and how you can apply for them

Export of animals and animal products

New sanitary and phytosanitary regulations apply to the export of animals and animal products to the UK. In 2021 and early 2022, import controls will be phased in for EU countries. For this, inter alia. Health certificates are required and goods are checked at the border inspection posts.

When exporting animals or animal products to the UK you should:

  • Find out when the new regulations will be introduced for your product

  • Find out whether a health certificate is required by contacting the responsible animal health authority in your country or an official veterinarian

  • if necessary, apply for a health certificate from the competent authority in your country and send an electronic copy of the completed form to your importer so that it can be uploaded to IPAFFS

Find out more about exporting animals and animal products to the UK.

Export of plants and plant products

New phytosanitary requirements apply to the export of plants, fruit and vegetables from the EU to Great Britain, including phytosanitary certificates. When exporting plants, fruits and vegetables to the UK, here are some things to keep in mind:

  • check with the phytosanitary authority in your country to see if a phytosanitary certificate is required

  • Find out if laboratory testing of samples of your plants to show that they are pest and disease free or inspections during the growing season is required

  • apply for a phytosanitary certificate from the responsible national phytosanitary organization before exporting

Learn more about exporting plants and plant products.

Export of fish to Great Britain

You need to:

  • Comply with rules to combat illegal, unreported and unregulated fishing (IUU)

  • Provide catch certificates and other relevant documents - check with the authorities in your country where you can obtain these documents

  • Land at a port designated by the North East Atlantic Fisheries Commission (NEAFC) - You must submit a form (NEAFC Port State Control, PSC1 or PSC2) and other relevant IUU documents prior to landing

For transhipment in UK ports, you must first land at a designated NEAFC port and complete the necessary IUU documents, including:

  • a UK transhipment form

  • prior registration

Find out more about exporting fish to the UK.

Export of endangered species (according to the Washington Convention on the Protection of Species, CITES)

New regulations apply to EU companies that trade in the animal and plant species listed in the Washington Convention. Amongst other things:

  • you need to make sure they use a named entry point when bringing CITES listed species into the UK (England, Scotland, Wales)

  • do you need permits if you are transporting CITES-listed species to Great Britain - e. B. a so-called APHA permit from the Animal Plant and Health Agency, which you have to apply for at least 30 days before the transport

Find out more about the species listed in CITES.

Energy-related products

Energy related products placed on the UK market must comply with UK regulations.

Compliant products that were placed on the market before January 1, 2021, with EU flags on the energy labels, can continue to circulate after the end of the transition period.

Products placed on the market in Northern Ireland must comply with relevant EU regulations. This includes the EU flag and the QR codes that lead to the required product information on the EPREL database.

Find out about the regulations and take precautions.

Manufactured goods

If you are bringing manufactured goods to market in the UK, a number of changes may apply to you depending on the type of goods you are placing on the market. You may need to:

  • check their product identification, labeling and packaging

  • Obtain additional permits, certifications, or registrations

  • appoint a legal representative based in the United Kingdom

  • Find out how your or your sales partners' legal responsibilities may change

Find out more about placing manufactured goods on the UK market.

If you place manufactured goods on the market in Northern Ireland, the relevant EU rules on manufactured goods apply. If the goods already comply with EU regulations and the relevant permits are in place, these will continue to form the basis on which they can be placed on the market in Northern Ireland. Further information will be published soon.

Learn more about placing manufactured goods on the market in Northern Ireland.


The United Kingdom has its own database for the notification of cosmetic products: the so-called SCPN service (Submit Cosmetic Products Notification Service).

If you want to market cosmetic products in the UK, you will need to register them.

This applies to products that

  • were already placed on the market in the EEA countries or the United Kingdom before December 31, 2020

  • have already been registered with the European Commission via the CNPC database

You have 90 days (from January 1, 2021) to submit the additional information to the UK SCPN service. You can use the same product information to register in the UK as if you previously registered in the EU CPNP database.

F-gases and ODS regulation

Make sure you are compliant with EU regulations on fluorinated greenhouse gases (F-gases) and ozone-depleting substances (ODS) when you import and export business with the UK.

The EU regulations and procedures on F-gases and ODS continue to apply to Northern Ireland, so that companies based in Northern Ireland can continue to trade with EU and EEA countries.

Find out more about the requirements of the F-gas regulation.

Trade in wood

A due diligence check is required for the import and export of wood.

Chemical trade

If you trade in chemicals, you will need to review your role within the EU and UK REACH systems and comply with the new regulations in order to continue to have access to the UK market.

In Northern Ireland, the EU's REACH regulation continues to apply, so companies based in Northern Ireland can continue to do business as before.

Find out more about the requirements of the REACH regulation.

Wooden packing material

If you produce or supply wood packaging material for the transport of goods from the UK to the EU, you must meet the international IPPC standard ISPM No. 15. Wooden packaging materials include: packing crates, boxes, crates, barrels and similar containers, pallets, box pallets, wooden collars and other wooden supports, as well as dunnage (loose wood used to protect goods and their packaging).

Make sure your packaging service provider or freight forwarder uses sturdy wooden packaging that meets the requirements to avoid your goods being held at the border. All wooden packaging can be checked at the border or inland to ensure that the applicable regulations are complied with. If your imports don't meet these requirements:

  • the wood packaging material may be rejected or destroyed

  • you need to make alternative arrangements for moving goods