How does jamming work
Since January 1, 2018, the import and possession of a jammer has been strictly prohibited in Switzerland and in several countries of the European Union. The regulations for these devices, which are also called "blockers" or "jammers", have thus been tightened, because previously the ban only applied to their placing on the market and use. Jammers can be dangerous as they prevent all cellular traffic and make emergency calls impossible. Most of the time, the advertisements for this type of device are deceptive: they give the impression that their use is legal and fail to make it clear that even possession is illegal.
The previously expensive and bulky jammers, which were limited to neutralizing mobile phone traffic in the GSM 900 MHz frequency band, have followed technological developments. They have become smaller and cheaper and can now disrupt a large part of the spectrum. With some models, not only the mobile phone bands (GSM, UMTS, LTE, ...), but also positioning systems (GPS, Glonass, Galileo, ...), data transmission networks (WLAN, RLAN, WiMax, ...) or wireless alarm systems be disturbed. Usage has also evolved. While the devices were previously only used to prevent cell phone calls in trains, restaurants or cinemas, today they are also used for criminal activities: theft of cars or trucks that are transporting valuable goods (by deactivating the location of the vehicle), theft in houses and homes (by neutralizing the cordless alarm system) etc.
Due to the spread of jammers, a tightening of the law became necessary: With the entry into force of an amendment to the Telecommunications Act (FMG) on January 1, 2018, the import and possession of jammers was banned. The manufacture, offering, making available on the market, commissioning, construction and operation of these devices also remain punishable.
By banning this type of facility on its territory, Switzerland is following the EU member states and other countries such as B. the United States.
A threat to security
The use of jammers is strictly forbidden because it not only causes inconvenience for users of the radio frequency spectrum and encourages criminal activities, but can also have serious consequences for security. In this way, emergency calls can be blocked in the event of an accident or the alerting of emergency services such as the fire brigade, police or ambulance. This can also lead to serious problems in civil aviation, which is increasingly using the global navigation satellite system (GNSS) to improve navigation performance and the monitoring activities of air traffic control.
In the FMG, the use of jammers is tantamount to deliberately disrupting the radio frequency spectrum, which can be punished with a fine of up to CHF 100,000. OFCOM intervenes systematically in such cases
Jammer for authorities
It looks different in prisons. Detainees use their cell phones to organize criminal activity or plan an outbreak. Another example is the defusing of explosive objects that can be detonated by radio. The FMG expressly provides for the possibility for prisons and police authorities to use jamming systems to prevent cell phone calls in their vicinity. The operation of such a system must be approved in advance by OFCOM.
- What is a logical math learning style
- How is the night life in Victoria Canada
- Which groups did Kenny Rogers sing with
- Intelligence has to do with pessimism anyway
- Why are weapons important for wars
- What is universal life insurance
- Some atheists pray
- What's in a Disney Cruise
- What is the CBC test
- What was the cholera epidemic
- What does weight loss mean
- How were you betrayed
- Governments are usually benevolent
- What symmetry do people have
- Is that a fake tinder profile
- What is the best alternative to HostGator
- Is the wood business really the future?
- Can my computer mouse be hacked?
- Is there a Trump look
- How is Marcel Duchamp's fountain viewed as art?
- How do you overcome the stress of retirement
- Antipsychotics should calm your mind completely
- What is Divine Healing
- Why are we always and forever unsatisfied
- Why can I forgive and not forget
- Why should you follow the health and safety rules
- How can I exchange coins for cash
- How did the Mexican cholo culture begin
- What Kraetze kills immediately
- Why should agricultural products be processed
- Why doesn't every house have solar panels?
- Can you monetize any concept
- How do we get to Samoa
- How does behavioral economics affect game theory?