What is attachment in alcohols
Alcohols: the OH bond
The O-H bond is more polar than a C-H bond
On this page we want to find out why the hydroxyl group gives alcohols their special physical properties. Let us consider a table with the electronegativities of the main group elements:
The polarity of a covalent bond depends on how different the electronegativities of the two connected atoms are.
In the case of the carbon-hydrogen bond, the EN difference is only 0.4. That's not very much, so the C-H bond is usually referred to as "non-polar", which is not entirely true. The C atom is slightly negatively charged in the C-H bond, the H atom is slightly positive. However, this slight polarity has almost no effect on the physical properties of a hydrocarbon.
With the oxygen-hydrogen bond, things look different. Here the EN difference is 1.4. That is a very high figure. The O-H bond is therefore quite polar. The O atom carries a strong negative partial charge, the H atom a strong positive partial charge. However, this partial charge should not be confused with a "correct" charge, as occurs, for example, with positively charged protons or negatively charged bromide ions. A "correct" charge is much stronger than the partial charges of the atoms of the hydroxyl group.
- Which is the best neurosurgeon in nagpur
- Is there a soulmate for you
- Why are Duracell batteries so expensive
- What is it trying
- How is green energy a business
- Why is pollution an environmental problem
- What is meant by insulin spike
- All passionate people are selfish
- What music draws your attention
- Is Brexit irreversible?
- Which are the novels for teenagers
- Can people control lightning
- What is the full form of the MMU
- Is there an Uber service in Kozhikode
- What are the best Slovak folk songs
- Which states prohibit copying of marriage certificates?
- What are the problems of federalism?
- Do animal cells have a vacuole?
- Ted Cruz is a Democrat
- Are the Grammys sexist 1
- Who is the DGP of Uttar Pradesh
- Did dinosaurs have a lot of fat
- Should people have conversations on Twitter
- What drugs can methaemoglobinaemia cause MetHb